I am often asked the following questions about Social Security by clients:
- When should I start collecting my Social Security retirement benefit?
- Can I collect Social Security on my spouse's record?
- How do I maximize Social Security benefits for my spouse and I?
- What is file and suspend?
- What is filing a restricted application?
- Can I collect Social Security benefits under a former or ex-spouse?
Knowing when to collect your Social Security benefits and understanding the system’s complex rules can be perplexing and can vary based on each person’s personal situation.
Here is a good video that illustrates some of the considerations when planning around Social Security and addresses some the most asked questions:
Here is a resource guide to some additional questions that can be found on the Social Security website.
- Where is my nearest Social Security office? Answer
- How do I apply for a new or replacement Social Security card? Answer
- When am I eligible for Social Security benefits? Answer
- How do I apply for Social Security benefits? Answer
- Is there a Social Security calculator to determine how much my monthly Social Security benefit will be? Answer
- What is a Government Pension Offset (GPO)? Answer
- How much more will my Social Security benefits increase by waiting vs taking them early? Answer